Pages

Friday 11 March 2022

Mad Max: Fury Road

 In the Furiosa Redemption scene, where Max and the others escaped Immortan Joe’s army and are making their way to the supposed green place, Miller intelligently uses the aspect of dialogue to dive deeper into the character of Furiosa. The start of the scene Max has a flashback from his past, he awakes in horror and throws a punch in the air, and Furiosa tells him “it’s okay, sleep, get some rest”. It cuts back to a shot of Max looking outside the desert and he asks her “ How do you even know this place even exists ?” and she responds to him saying “ I was born there”. He asks her “ Why did you leave ?’ she answers back saying “I didn’t, I was taken as a child. Stolen”. The camera is shown back to her face showing a slight sadness as she stares into the never ending desert. He asks her “ You done this before ? she says back to him “Many times, now that I drive a War Rig, this is the best shot I’ll ever have”. The scene cuts back to Max and he points at the wives and Nux and he asks Furiosa “And them ?” she answers back saying “They’re looking for hope” Max finally asks her “What about you ?” she says to him “Redemption”. Miller uses dialogue to adequately show the feelings and emotions of the characters of Max, Furiosa, and Nux all in one scene, to show what they are all fighting for. The director’s purpose in this scene was to show The Hero's Journey through Furiosa’s character. It was conveyed through Furiosa’s dialogue with Max, where she talks about “Redemption”. We also got an earlier look at the Furiosa’s Hero’s journey where Immortan Joe goes to find his wives and discovers they had escaped with Furiosa. An old lady appears out of nowhere and tells Immortan Joe that Furiosa did not want to take them, but they begged her to take them with her. We see the blueprints of the Hero’s Journey in Furiosa’s character when we discover that the wives had begged her before but she insisted they stay where they are (denying the Hero’s call). But Furiosa finally accepts the call and takes the wives with her in her endeavors to find the greenplace. The audience were introduced to an all new side to the character of Furiosa,they got to see her vulnerable side. This gives the audience an insight into what the journey is about and what they’re truly fighting for. The use of dialogue blended in with the different angle shots throughout the scene truly gave a deeper meaning. Miller uses a close up shot to mix with the dialogue, to show us the emotions that characters are going through. During the whole conversation Furiosa just looked sad and tired, whilst Max had a sympathetic look on his face while hearing Furiosa’s story. We then get a cut to Nux, Miller now uses a mid shot to show his interaction with the bug, and the sympathetic look on his face before he eats it.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Manasa. I really like your paragraph. I think the way you wrote about and described the scene was really easy to interpret. Next time I think you could make the link to the wider world more clear and easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Manasa,

    Terrific work! I really like how you tied in Furiosa's Hero's Journey in this paragraph. I also like how you showed an appreciation of the director's crafting by using words like 'adequately' and 'intelligently'.

    To improve, some of your analysis could be more specific. For example, "an insight into what the journey is about and what they’re truly fighting for." What is their journey about? What are they fighting for?

    And "truly gave a deeper meaning." What is this deeper meaning?

    Ka rawe, Manasa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Manasa,
    Your paragraph is very good. Its very detailed and easy to read. I think the bit where you talked about the directors purpose is really good and has a clear understanding. Next time I think you could talk more about how this relates back to the wider world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Manasa! I loved reading your paragraph, using the heroes journey to explain Furiosa's development was a great addition. Your elaboration on how she denied the wives begging at first shows how she has truly changed and become more vulnerable like you explained. A good addition would be to use another scene to show how she used to act before showing this vulnerability or another that shows what happens to her because of it. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaiden M. Ringdahl18 March 2022 at 12:27

    I like banana, and I find this writing really cool. You are awesome and writing.
    I think the way you describe the scene but not make it too overwhelming is good.
    I do believe that you could elaborate on what the wives bring to this whole section of writing.
    I,m really hungry I would like someone to buy me peanut butter, smooth please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yo Manasus, I read your righting and I like to say that this is good, you have poot sum good details in here about Furiosa's evolution as a karacter and I like the bold letters, the bold letters really drew my attention to the bold letters. but I dont remember miller being in this movie I:/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blog El' Presidante'18 March 2022 at 13:30

      I would like to congratulate Meihana for being so brave. For this I will make to Secretary of blog interior.

      Delete
    2. Big Blog Government People18 March 2022 at 13:37

      I would like to point out Meihana has made several spelling mistakes in his comment and is not reviewing poor Manasa's writing fairly.

      Manasa,
      I am sorry on behalf of Mason and the Blog El Presidante'

      Delete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.