Pages

Monday 22 February 2021

2021 L2 Engineering Power Tools


SAFE USE OF  MAINS POWERED TOOLS AND EXTENSION CORDS 

What is a mains powered tool ? Mains power is an alternating current electrcity supply. Mains power tools are powered through the electricty running through the electrical cords. The electrical cords are used to plug in an electrical outlet so that electricity flows through the tools.

Where are you likely to use Mains Power/Power Tools ? You are most likely to find a Mains Power Tool in a workshop near an outlet. Basically wherever you can find an electrical outlet, is also where you can use Mains power since it runs of the electricity that comes from the walls connected to the electrical outlet. We can find different types of mains powered tools in the workshop that is available to us.


3 examples of Mains Powered tools I have used before :


Biscuit Joiner Power DrillBand Saw

Describe and Explain the task you used it for ?

1. A Biscuit Joiner is used to make circular shapes in a piece of wood to join to wood pieces together. I used a Biscuit Joiner to cut a circular shape on a piece of wood that matches the size of the biscuit,and then joined the three pieces of wood together to build my table.

2.  A Power Drill is used to put holes into your work whether it be wood or metal. I used a power drill, to drill holes into my table, and work bench so that I can then apply the appropriate screw that needs to hold my work together.

3. A Band Saw is used to cut through materials such as wood, and metal. I used the band saw to cut a curved shape. I drew lines on the wood before I used the band saw because I would know where to follow and cut. So I made the curved shape for the support for my table.

General Safety around Electricity.....

What to look for ? Before using any machinery with wiring in the workshop, make sure you check for exposed wires, so that no accidents happen. Be careful when using cord-and-plug power tools if the guard is removed. In the event of someone getting an electrical shock do not touch them, because the electrcity will transfer on to you.

What do I do if something is wrong ? If any wires are exposed do not turn on the switch of the tool and contact your teahcer immediately. If the guard isn't on just make sure you don't trip on the cord. If someone is getting an electrical shock, make sure you step away from them and contact your teacher, then contact the authorities.

What is meant by RCD ? An RCD is a corded device that is programmed to break an electrical circuit to prevent serious harm from an ongoing electric shock.

What is meant by Double Insulation ? Double insulation is insulation that consists of both basic insulation and supplementary insulation. Equipment such as hand-held domestic electric drilling machines has the additional safety precaution of double insulation.                                         -Website for Meaning

Safety checks and safe working practices when using a mains powered tool ? Check for exposed wires, so there is no electrical shock and also attach the rcd to the cord if anything wrong happens accidentally.

Hazards and dangers of extension cords ? Make sure you look around for the wires on the ground because you might trip and fall. Also if the cords are in a round loop it will heat up and cause a fire.

Safe use of extension cords ? Attach the guard to the cords so you don't trip on the wire. Also untie the cord if it has a loop so you can prevent overheating it.

General PPE  when using mains powered tools ?

 




4 comments:

  1. Hey Manasa Good job but I think you should add more information on safe use of extension cords.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever do you mean RYley ? I think I have posted enough appropriate information on extension cords. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry but I did not copy and paste. All the information I put on here was based on what I've learned in my wood class last year .

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.